I’m David. I can usually be found in front of a load of screens overseeing the technical production of television programmes, theatre shows or events… otherwise I’m probably busy coding and managing websites like this one!
I have a BA Honours in Broadcast Operations & Production, specialising in Directing & Vision Mixing. I have worked for many of the UK’s top broadcasters in a variety of roles. My skills and knowledge span vision, sound, lighting and many other technical operation roles, plus I have leadership and project management experience.
Take a look around to learn more about my background, skills & experience. I’m always interested in new opportunities so drop me a message if you’d like to chat. I’m currently based in London, but always willing to travel the country or internationally.
Olympic Broadcasting Services, Rio2016 Deputy Venue Technical Manager - Olympic Stadium
- Responsible for ensuring technical plans for Football and Athletics at the Olympic Stadium are fully implemented to schedule in accordance with OBS and Rights Holders requirements.
- Provide the technical facilities and cabling necessary to support 14 OB Trucks in the Broadcast Compound, along with connectivity between various mix zone, announcer and radio positions.
- Perform daily technical checks prior to broadcast & troubleshoot any issues alongside the rest of the Venue Management team.
ITV, Good Morning Britain
Sky, Technical Supervisor
- Part of the Studios Technical Management department of Sky Production Services.
- The Technical Supervisor is the most senior technical person in Sky’s studios / control rooms, responsible for troubleshooting and occasionally operating all technical systems.
- Systems include Grass Valley cameras, switchers and automation; Calrec digital mixers; ETC lighting consoles; Vinten Radamec robotics; Chyron / Viz graphics; BNCS.
The Walt Disney Company, Show Control 1
- Responsible for all technical systems for The Walt Disney Theatre on the flagship vessel, the Disney Fantasy.
Al Jazeera, Senior Cameraman
- Operation of Vinten Radamec robotic cameras, ETC lighting console and Sony OCPs.
Ericsson / Red Bee Media, Playout Director
- Playout of BBC Worldwide, Channel 5 & Box Television channels via iTX & Morpheus.
- Append schedules, chase missing material, correct scheduling errors and solve TX issues.
Bloomberg, Technical Operator
- Vision mix content routed to various studio screens on a Snell Kahuna.
- Operate video playback, inc. b-roll, SOT’s, packages and stings from 6 servers.
- Operate graphics via Viz system.
Olympic Broadcasting Services, Utility / Camera Assistant
- Assisted the ExCeL Broadcast Technical Managers with the rig, support and derig for the Table Tennis, Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, Taekwondo, Fencing & Weight Lifting for the London 2012 Olympic Games.
- Camera Assistant at the International Broadcast Centre for the London 2012 Paralympic Games.
- Trained by SIS Live. Worked with CCTV and Alfacam.
Encompass Digital Media, Transmission Controller
- Playout and monitoring of Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior, Disney Cinemagic & HD / +1 / International versions.
- Responsible for appending schedules and fixing any material issues (voice overs / graphics / subtitles / audio description / Dolby).
- Software: Snell Morpheus (playout automation), Miranda iControl (airchain switching & monitoring), Pixel Power Clarity (graphics)
Bloomberg, MCR Assistant Team Leader
- Monitor UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific airchains to ensure sequencers follow logs.
- Set up reporters and guests around the world; frame shots using robotic cameras, check audio levels and dial IFBs for talkback.
- Book BT lines & satellites, route signals and encode feeds.
Channel 4, Transmission Operator
- Playout and monitoring of 4Music, The Box, Smash Hits, Kiss, Heat, Kerrang & Magic.
- Log and correct scheduling errors, ingest missing media and QC content before going to air.
- Software: Pebble Beach (playout automation), Viz (on screen graphics)
QVC, Broadcast Technical Operator
- Cameras: Operate Shotoku robotic cameras & manual studio cameras.
- Vision: Balance cameras via RCP panels and adjust lighting levels.
- Sound: Trained on the Calrec Artemis.
ITV, The London Studios Intern Technical Assistant
- Cameras: Positioned and prepared cameras for operators. Cable bashed during camera moves to maintain a safe studio environment.
- Lighting: Rigged, focussed & de-rigged lights. Operated the ETC Congo lighting desk during rehearsals.
- Sound: Rigged and tested microphones and speakers. Miked presenters and guests.
QI (BBC), Graham Norton Show (BBC), Have I Got News For You (BBC), This Morning (ITV), Loose Women (ITV), Paul O’Grady Live (ITV), James Cordons World Cup Live (ITV), Stephen Mulhern’s Magic Numbers (ITV), 5 O’Clock Show (Ch4), Alan Carr Chatty Man (Ch4)
BBC, Researcher / Runner
- Blue Peter: Worked with film team to research and pitch ideas to commissioners, assisted on location shoots, checked equipment in & out of DV Solutions, collected tapes from Archive.
- Television Centre: Assisted as a studio runner on Harry Hill’s TV Burp & The Alan Titchmarsh Show.
IBC TV News, Graphics Operator
- Aston graphics operation for the International Broadcast Convention daily news programme from Amsterdam.
DragonFly Film and Television, Studio Runner
- One Born at Christmas – live broadcast from Southampton Hospital on Christmas Day.
- Assisted with rig and de-rig of studio. Assisted camera operators during the live programmes.
Walt Disney World, Hollywood Studios Operations
- Operated special effects for “Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ Backlot Tour”
- Responsible for public safety and cueing/resetting elements of show for “Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show” & “Fantasmic”
Pozzitive Television, Graphics Operator
- College of Knowledge: Operated ORAD graphics system for pilot hosted by Milton Jones
Studio 6, Production Consultant
- Ravensbourne2012, Operations Director
- Talent Spotlight, Executive Producer & Director
- 3D Storytelling, Director & Vision Mixer
- Ravensbourne2011, Head of Broadcasting
- Loose Students, Director
- The Show Must Go On, Lighting Director
- The Christmas Show, Producer
- Rave HD, Sound Supervisor
- Talent Showdown, Producer
- Local News / This is the Place, Vision Mixer
Campus Television, Station Manager
- Freshers Week feat. Zane Lowe & Chicane, Vision Mixer
Backstage Technical Services, Technician
- Summer Ball feat. The Wombats, Chesney Hawkes & Radio 1, Mainstage Manager
- Little Shop of Horrors, Production Manager
- Family Fireworks, Lighting & Power
- The Twang, Lighting – Elements Club
- The Automatic, Lighting – Elements Club
- Dog Show, Sound – Westonbirt Arboretum
- Freshers Fair & Ball, Rigger – University of West England
- Simon Amstell, Sound – Bristol Hippodrome
- Dance Showcase, Lighting – St Gregories
- Thoroughly Modern Millie, Lighting Operator – Redgrave Theatre
- Fame, Sound Operator – KYT, Broadlands
- Jesus Christ Superstar, Lighting Operator – KYT, Broadlands
Blueprint Events, Technician
- 1940’s Event, Sound, Lighting & Visuals – Bristol Industrial Museum
Giotto Arts Centre, Venue Technician
Technical Director for most in-house productions, leading the crew and taking responsibility of all technical aspects – lighting, sound and visuals.
- Hair, Technical Manager & Lighting Designer
- Little Shop of Horrors, Technical Manager & Lighting Designer
- West Side Story, Technical Manager & Lighting Designer
- Oh What A Lovely War, Technical Manager & Lighting Designer
- Oldland Boy, Venue Technician
- Les Miserables, Technical Manager & Lighting Operator
- NeedLess Greed, Technical Manager & Lighting Designer
- The Miracle, Lighting Designer / Operator
- The Wall, Lighting Designer / Operator
- Time is Running Out, Lighting Designer / Operator
- EXCEL 2005, Visuals Operator
- The Holocaust, Sound & Visuals Operator
- The Brain, Lighting Designer / Operator
- Grease, Lighting Designer / Operator
Theatre Royal Bath, Technician
- Ben Hur, Rigger & Sound Assistant
- Romeo & Juliet, Lighting Operator
- Trojan Woman, Sound Operator
- Lord of the Flies, Visuals Operator
- Pericles, Visuals Operator
- Global Trek, Sound Operator
- The Witches, Sound Operator
- My Life as a Fairy Tale, Lighting Operator
- The Little Prince, Lighting Operator
- After Juliet, Fly Crew
- War Daddy, Lighting Operator
- Animal Farm, Sound Operator
- As You Like It, Visuals Operator
- House on Hellmouth Hill, Followspot
- Peter Pan, Lighting Operator
- Biblical Tales, Lighting Operator
- The Crucible, Assistant Stage Manager
- Grimm Tales, Lighting Operator
- Funky Foreverland, Stage Manager – Stag Theatre
- Beautiful Feeling, Sound Operator – Bob Hope Theatre
- The Children, Sound Operator – Wales Millenium Centre
- The Tempest, Lighting Designer – Redgrave Theatre
- BBC West Sports Awards, Rigger & Followspot Operator